NEW GUY FROM NEW JERSEY, USA

A little about yourself.
OLDBALDGUY

NEW GUY FROM NEW JERSEY, USA

Postby OLDBALDGUY » 17 Oct 2009, 14:10

HELLO FROM SOUTHERN NEW JERSEY, USA...I'M NEW TO THIS FORUM AND TO THE WORLD OF GR650'S, I'M NOT NEW TO MOTORCYCLES...I'V MODIFIED SEVERAL OLDER YAMAHA XS650'S AND A KAWASAKI KZ440 RECENTLY AND SOLD THEM. I CURRENTLY OWN
MY DAILY RIDE, 2006 SUZUKI C90
MY WIFES DAILY RIDE, 2005 YAMAHA V-STAR 650 CLASSIC
MY TOY, 1983 YAMAHA XS650 CUSTOM SOFT TAIL
MY WIFES TOY, 1978 YAMAHA XS650 CUSTOM HARD TAIL
I RECENTLY AQUIRED A 1983 GR650X TEMPTER, IT IS IN VERY GOOD CONDITION AND SINCE THESE BIKES ARE RARE IN THE STATES I THINK I'M GOING TO RESTORE IT. I HOPE TO GET SOME ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS ABOUT THE GR650 FROM THIS SITE. THE BIKE I HAVE WAS PURCHASED FROM THE ORIGINAL OWNER FOR $400 AND ONLY HAS 4,000 ON THE ODOMETER, HE BOUGHT IT IN 1989 NEW FROM A DEALER WHO HAD IT IN A WHAREHOUSE, HE RODE IT UNTIL 1997 THEN STORED IT, UNFORTUNEATELY HE DIDN'T DRAIN THE GAS AND IT TURNED TO VARNISH AND CHUNKS OF RUST, I RECENTLY GOT A TANK CLEANING AND SEALING KIT FROM KBS COATINGS AND HOPE IT WILL SOLVE THE RUSTY TANK PROBLEM. THE RIGHT FRONT AND REAR SIGNAL LITES ARE DAMAGED AND THERE IS A SMALL DENT IN THE TANK, OTHER THAN THAT THE BIKE IS IN GREAT SHAPE FOR A 26 YEAR OLD. I WAS ABLE TO GET IT TO RUN BREIFLY USING STARTING FLUID AND A SPARE BATTERY SO MY HOPES ARE HIGH THAT ALL IT WILL NEED MECHANICALLY IS A GOOD CARB CLEANING AND OIL CHANGE. ARE THERE ANY REOCCURRING PROBLEMS WITH THE GR650 THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR??IT WILL NEED NEW TIRES TOO SINCE THE ORIGINALS ARE DRY ROTTED A BIT.
THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY KNOWLEDGE YOU ARE WILLING TO SHARE WITH A FIRST TIME GR650'ER IT SHOULD TURN OUT TO BE A FUN LITTLE BIKE. IS THERE SOME WAY TO POST PICS OF PROGRESS AS I GO??
WHAT HAPPENS IN THE GARAGE STAYS IN THE GARAGE

Big R

Postby Big R » 19 Oct 2009, 14:06

Congrats and welcome! To my knowledge there isn't too many bugs mechanically with these bikes. Mostly people have problems with their electrical system after awhile though. Just search this forum for electrical problems and you'll see what I mean.

When you go to clean out the carbs, I posted a way to make a soda blaster - but never personally tried it. And one of the most useful sites for parts (I'm sure you already know) is Bikebandit.com.

There is a couple ways to post pictures of your progress, none of which I know off the top of my head but it's pretty easy to search the forum for the answer

ferrell847

hi

Postby ferrell847 » 19 Feb 2010, 23:57

hi where are you located i live in mickleton we should get together and ride some time this season

lucky1

Postby lucky1 » 20 Feb 2010, 02:49

welcome to the forum, you will find your GR tempter will be a subject that you'll have lots of conversation about.

Return to “Who is who”