introducing myself.

A little about yourself.
tonyjo

introducing myself.

Postby tonyjo » 25 Dec 2009, 09:57

Hello GR Riders,I'm from NSW south coast.I grew up in the UK in the forties fifties & sixties surrounded by those wonderful parallel twins of that era.I had never even heard of this bike but I came across one laying about in someones shed.The design is instantly recognisable,I owned a 1964 Triumph Thunder Bird from new for many years.I brought it to OZ with me in '65.This GR is in my opinion as good if not better.It matches the 'Bird in low to mid revs then it takes off like no British standard 650 ever could.Suzuki didn't get it all right though.This engine would run a heap better if the drivetrain took a trip to the dentist.7500 rpm at the top would make the bike and rider happier.Keep the fuel down too,but its a miser compared to the 'Bird.I have 79000 km on it and shows little sign of excessive wear in fact I am happy with both the ride and the performance.I have only owned the bike a few weeks and just been accepted into this forum and discovered everybody is looking for that magic sprocket.When you find a source please advise.
TONYJO

spitse

Postby spitse » 25 Dec 2009, 10:24

good day A P Jones, and welcome to this forum. You will find a lot in interested and interesting ppl here. helpfull too..

about the sprocket:
i found out that a front sprocket from one of the following bikes will fit the GR:
- Suzuki TS250 ERN,T (1980 to 1983)
- Suzuki GSF400 L,M,N Bandit GK75B (1990 to 1992)
- Suzuki GSX-R400 J,RK,RAK GK73A Japan (1988 to 1989).
they are all 1.5 mm thinner so you need a washer to make it sit tight... It's because they are for a 525 chain, and the GR has a 530 chain. i read here somewhere that people use a 520 sprocket with no problems, so i figured that a 525 sprocket will also be fine!

There seem to be companies that make them on request. i ordered it from www.wemoto.com, from the uk. DOnt know if that is interesting for OZ.

for more info read through the thread:
http://hotel.messageboard.nl/3669/viewt ... t&&start=0

or do a search for front sprocket

tonyjo

front sprocket

Postby tonyjo » 25 Dec 2009, 11:41

Thanks for the welcome,much appreciated. So is your advice.You give plenty of alternatives,all good too.Not going to be as hard as I thought to get the most from this bike with the backing of a group like this.thank you my friend.
AP JONES [tonyjo]
TONYJO

Return to “Who is who”