Hafa Adai from Guam'

A little about yourself.
hafadai

Hafa Adai from Guam'

Postby hafadai » 04 Jan 2010, 22:49

Hello everyone, my name is Ryan and I've recently come into ownership of an 83ish Tempter GR650. It was originally my uncle, but he left the island and moved to Alaska of all places.

About a few months ago I left Texas and moved to Guam, and then about a week ago while going through the storage room I discovered the bike itself. After a few words exchanged on Facebook he welcomed me to it.

The bike has been sitting for a little under a year though, so I'm currently in the process of bringing it back to life. I look forward to bothering everybody for advice and help as I get her pretty again and learn to operate and maintain her. :lol:

cheers~

Big R

Postby Big R » 05 Jan 2010, 09:37

Welcome to the forum man! Always good to get another member. Don't worry about bothering us, there are plenty of helpful people on here. Shouldn't be too hard to get it running after about a year, right?
go big or go home

lucky1

Postby lucky1 » 05 Jan 2010, 15:20

welcome to the forum, this is the place to be if your looking for info for your new bike.

hafadai

Postby hafadai » 06 Jan 2010, 04:04

thanks loads! I really look forward to working with y'all on this. :D

My first step has been to change the battery, but after looking all over the island to no luck in finding a replacement battery, I just decided to bank on the battery it has still being good, but just drained. So I bought myself a trickle charger and have it on that at the moment.

I gave it a go earlier after about 40 minutes of charge and got lights to show up on the bike and that was definitely a good sign. Switched the engine stop to run, put it in neutral, held in the clutch and pushed the start button to no results though. Is it normal to not hear the starter clicking? I'm obviously pretty new to bikes, being mostly a car enthusiast, so do correct me if I'm off somewhere.

Right now I'm just looking to see her running, then I'll go seek out a Motorcycle safety course and proper riding armor. End goals being having a nice recreational bike to carve the mountain roads on and being able to get around easily for my photo hobby.

lucky1

Postby lucky1 » 06 Jan 2010, 04:30

have you got a car, if so can you give it a boost with cables. this bike runs a 12v system.

Big R

Postby Big R » 06 Jan 2010, 12:08

It could actually be a couple different things. Let the battery charge up to %100 which I'm sure is done by now. The first to check is the clutch safety switch - it might be corroded enough that it's not making a contact. Watch out taking it apart! There are some little bits in there!

Might also be the "run" switch (more commonly called the kill switch). Check the connections under there too.

And if you can't find a replacement battery out there, it is possible to find a semi-universal battery. They are used mostly for racing applications because of their size but are still 12 volts and can handle the charging systems
go big or go home

Return to “Who is who”