GR 650 with sidecar from Quebec

A little about yourself.
jb48

GR 650 with sidecar from Quebec

Postby jb48 » 20 Apr 2016, 11:57

I want to warmly salute everyone of you who keep on riding and preserving the somewhat rare GR 650. I bought mine in 2012 after a break of 45 years since riding my last motorcycle (another Suzuki) in 1967! My GR is a 1984 model which I rode in solo mode up to last year.
Since I always wished to drive a sidecar, I finally took the jump last year and built myself a look alike Ural sidecar to attach to my GR. It took me a good six months researching and building the sidecar. After many fine adjustments, the end product behaves better than I expected. The GR 650 is a very good medium weight bike for sidecar conversion: traditional stout tube frame and original high geared final drive ratio which is more of an asset than a liability in sidecar duty.
The hack can easily hold 100 kmh all day long but with a severe penalty in gas consomption: 6.5 l/100 km versus 4.5 l/100 km. But it is a small price to pay compared to the number of smiles per mile you get. To this day, I rode 2500 km with the sidecar (59000 km total on bike).
I would be interested to know if any other member did a hack conversion from a GR 650 or any GR owner interested to know about such a conversion.
Have a nice day and a safe ride.
PS: I tried to download a picture but but the file is too large...

jb48

Re: GR 650 with sidecar from Quebec

Postby jb48 » 20 Apr 2016, 12:05

Look at post #172 and #174 at: http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/p ... 228/page-9
Maybe it should work...

Dwarf

Postby Dwarf » 01 Jun 2016, 13:55

JB48, Thanks for showing your pictures! Great sidecar! It sounds like you thought out the design very well. I have 3 GR650's, only one licenced, and love the bike. Maybe I'll build a sidecar for one of my project bikes, as I am getting a little weaker in my old age!
Do it sideways!

jb48

Postby jb48 » 10 Jun 2016, 12:28

Hi Dwarf. Thank you for your good words about my version of a GR 650 sidecar. Even if I visit GR 650 site almost everyday, it`s only this morning that I noticed an answer to my post! Correct me if I am wrong but this site seems very quiet? Anyway, I am reading the whole section about technical questions ( I am on page 13 now out of 14). Since it appears that you are still active on GR 650 (I remember your member`s name on some posts), I have 2 questions for you: I suspect my engine to run leaner than ideal but I know almost nothing about carbs; my bike had the factory plugged mixture screw unplugged when I bought it: do you enrich by turning the screws clockwise or counterclockwise? Second question: if you enrich by using these screws only, is the mixture enriched all over operating range or only on idle? I know this maybe not the post section to ask but i`ll do it only this time.
Thanks a lot and I am happy that this site is still alive.

vtwin

Postby vtwin » 21 Nov 2016, 14:57

Nice hack jb. I'm vtwin on Advrider as well. I post "The Mighty Tempter" in Olds Cool and in "Day Tripping" Look under "My at(Tempter) on the Sierra" There are a few of us that migrated over there from here. Glad to see its still going over here though.

jb48

Postby jb48 » 22 Nov 2016, 12:57

Hi vtwin. Your user`s name tells me something as I remember seeing it when I read all the pages from technical info. I also read and posted a few times in Advrider, but only in Hacks section, since my interest is in sidecar much more now than on solo bikes. The GR650 site gets sometime a small burst of revival with very few users. Later on I`ll check your posts about the Tempter in Advrider. Have a nice day!

Return to “Who is who”