New Old Guy

A little about yourself.
Mike Sr

New Old Guy

Postby Mike Sr » 21 Jul 2016, 22:43

Greetings. I recently purchased my second 1983 GR650 here in Northern Illinois/Indiana. I sold the last one 7 years ago after a stroke took my riding abilities away from me. Even if I can't ride one, I still love bringing old motorcycles back to life. My newest acquisition had not been on the road for 21 years. When I drained the oil, it (and the filter) looked new. I wondered about that. Fresh oil, a new battery and some light carb cleaning and she started right up with gas from a bottle and hose. The petcock kit had not arrived yet. As she settled into a nice idle off-choke, I noticed a growing puddle of oil. I think I discovered the reason it was parked 21 years ago with only 10,000 mile on her. The base gasket beneath the cylinders was squirting oil in a nice steady stream about 12" to the side. I believe the fresh oil and filter were done in an attempt to bring her back to life sometime during its 21 year nap. The fuel tank must have been drained as no goo was found in it and just some stickiness in the carbs. Somewhere, there is a guy(or gal) that gave up on her. I found a Vesrah full gasket kit in Poland. The European market had this bike for 7 years so parts are more plentiful across the pond. I briefly thought about parting the bike out on ebay, but decided it would be good karma to made her a driver again. She's not real pretty right now, but the only things missing were the mirrors. It should clean up to be very presentable. If I could find an inexpensive sidecar, I just might return to the road. Of course I need to make her run clean and dry first.

I hope to see some activity at this site. Such a neat bike deserves a place to be loved.

Mike Sr

jb48

Re: New Old Guy

Postby jb48 » 22 Jul 2016, 11:46

Hi Mike. Glad to see a new member, at last, on this site! It looks like this site is very quiet since a few years and I find it very sad, since the almost forgotten GR 650 deserves better fate. Since I`m myself an old guy (68 next month), I still appreciate the virtues of old and simple technology in things mechanical.
You wrote on your introductory post that you think about sidecaring. My own GR 650 is permanently attached to a sidecar since about a year and a half and I`ll never revert back to solo motorcycle. While the original somewhat too high gear ratio is a liability for most riders, it becomes a real asset when converted to sidecar rig. The GR 650 classic frame is stout enough for sidecar duty on normal roads and can keep easily with reasonable traffic speed. If you have a feel for sidecar riding, go for it and enjoy a unique experience.
Welcome to GR 650.
Jean

Mike Sr

Re: New Old Guy

Postby Mike Sr » 24 Jul 2016, 17:48

Thanks for the reply! The sidecar idea is so much more appealing to me over a trike. A friend asked my why I don't particularly like trikes. I foolishly replied "Trikes are for old people". He laughed and asked if I had looked in a mirror in the last 5 years. I apologized. If you like trikes, I say enjoy them. A sidecar has some special appeal to me. I thought about one long before I had balance problems. I'm not a romantic kind of guy, but sidecars have a romantic air about them. Maybe I'm just nuts.
I ordered a manual about building my own sidecar. I have metalworking and welding experience in my background (used to build and race oval track stockcars). A good friend has a fab shop with all the tools I would need and a line on raw materials. This won't happen until the bike gets dialed in. This will be a wonderful winter project.
Right now I am waiting for my gasket set and the humidity to drop. After all, us OLD guys do have working condition restrictions.
Mike Sr.

Return to “Who is who”